Saturday, February 21, 2015

LIM 212 - Wings

Another weeks has rolled around and it's time to play again at the Less is More challenge.  This week's challenge is to make a card with the theme "wings".

Here's my first card for this challenge:


The "winged" image I chose for this card is the SU enormous butterfly stamp!  I rarely use this image because it is so incredibly large, but I thought I would see what I could make with it today.  I stamped the image in Versamark on orange card stock.  I decided I wanted it to be all different colors, so I sprinkled some dark blue, light blue, bright yellow and some steel colored embossing powders on the different areas of the image, then heat embossed it all at the same time.  It's difficult to see on here, but I coated the entire butterfly with some clear Wink of Stella too, so it has a really nice sparkle to it. (Did you know that if your Wink of Stella becomes a little "dry" and looks like it's not working well anymore that you can remedy that?  Well, you can....just unscrew the brush portion for the "ink" end, remove the little black plug, then fill with water. Put the black plug back in, screw the brush portion back on, and shake well!  I just did it today and it works beautifully!)

This next card has nothing to do with the challenge, just thought I'd share.


I need a card for a friend who's daughter just lost her battle with cancer, but didn't really want to make the typical "sympathy" card.  I die cut the flower from grey, then cut it again in white.  I dry embossed the white piece with a PTI embossing plate, then inset the grey flower into the white background.  The sentiment is from PTI Everyday Blessings.  I stamped in Versamark on vellum, then heat embossed with some platinum embossing powder. I wrapped the vellum around the white background after I adhered it to the grey piece.  Then I adhered both layers to the card base.

I've really been working on my heat embossing lately....and it is getting better.  I don't seem to be getting all the scattered embossing powder that I used to get every time I embossed!  

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by for a visit!  Hope you'll come back soon!  Your comments are greatly appreciated! Until next time...
Photobucket


Pin It!

13 comments:

Hannelie said...

2 lovely cards Susan!
Such a great way to use a large image like that!
Stunning!

Creative Heart Designs said...

Susan...love your butterfly card. The multi-colors make it really eye-catching. The scripture sympathy card is really nice.

My Card Site: Creative Heart Designs

Kristie Goulet said...

Your butterfly card is gorgeous!
Sorry for the need for your second card but it is a perfect card for the occasion.

Lorraine said...

Both are beautifully done. I especially like the way you gave movement to the butterfly's wings.

Canonbury creations said...

Two beautiful cards Susan, love the embossed butterfly and I'm a great fan of inset diecuts;)
Val x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Stunning butterfly card, I like it a lot, the sympathy card has beautiful textures, I'm so sorry to hear about your friends daughter.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Such a beautiful butterfly. Your sympathy card is just perfect.

Chrissie said...

Both cards are stunning Susan! I love the multicoloured butterfly.
If you think that embossing poder is going to fly you can always heat it from underneath!
Your prize package is in the mail!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Sandra H said...

So pretty they are x

Sazzle Dazzle said...

2 beautiful cards Susan.
The sympathy card is so elegant and I'm sure it will be much appreciated.
The LIM one is super eye-catching and totally glamorous. Love the colours.
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Anne said...

Susan your huge butterfly looks stunning, love it.
And the sympathy card is stunning in its simplicity, of colour and of design. I am sure it will bring comfort to your friend.
Thank you for joining us at Less is More
Anne
LIM

Lynne said...

Your butterfly may be huge but it`s beautiful Susan. Your sympathy card is lovely too and I`m sure it will be gratefully recieved.
Lynne xxx

Kathyk said...

Two smashing cards but I do love the first one

Kathyk

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails